Baby Davy: a 3D ultrasound of our baby at only 12 weeks! Technology is amazing...

Baby Davy: a 3D ultrasound of our baby at only 12 weeks!  Technology is amazing...

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lent and the Taking of Blood...

Today I am 25 weeks pregnant! Things are definitely starting to turn a corner as far as how I'm feeling. I'm starting to move a bit slower, my last pair of non-pregnancy pants officially don't fit anymore and sleeping is starting to become a bit uncomfortable as my options for sleeping positions diminish. (Sleeping on my stomach is out; sleeping on my back is newly out also as there is too much weight on it.)

Today is also Ash Wednesday, and as practicing Catholics, Dan and I have always observed today as a day of fasting and abstinence from meat. In other words, normally I would be joining Dan today in skipping meat and only eating one regular meal for the day. As I pregnant woman, I researched what the Church has to say about pregnant women fasting during Lent, and I found that I'm off the hook! Apparently I fall under the category of "aged or infirm" so the usual fasting rules don't apply. I was thinking of sacrificing something else or doing some extra good work today in place of it. Maybe I'll offer it up for my unborn child. :)

Yesterday Dan and I met with our midwife for another monthly appointment. This time we met her in the "Queen Mary Maternity Center" in the Dunedin Hospital where we'll go when it's time to deliver Baby. Everything still checks out well- we listened again to Baby's heartbeat (around 140 bpm), she took my usual vitals and had a chat about how things are going. Also, she measured me with a tape measure for the first time to record how big I'm getting! I thought, "Hey, am I a pregnant lady or a turkey being fitted to the pan for roasting?!" It was quite humorous. Just before we left, she noticed that my ankles are starting to swell. I had actually forgotten to tell her about that. Apparently, that's one of the symptoms of pre-eclampsia (the older generation might know it as 'toxemia'). The other symptoms are high blood pressure, headaches, and abdominal pain, but I don't have any of those. Anyway, I hate needles. I have never been good at dealing with them. Yesterday, our midwife wanted to get a blood sample to rule out pre-eclampsia but no matter how many times I was stuck with a needle, she just wasn't having any luck taking blood! She even tried taking blood from the back of my hand!!!! Let's just say I was not enjoying myself and was very unhappy. Finally, we gave up and just took a walk down to the good old Dunedin blood lab and had it done there. So easy!!!! I didn't hardly feel a thing which I did NOT complain about. Afterwards, Dan was pitying me so much that he took me out to lunch at a restaurant of my choice. I picked this Indian place we like to go to. The Lamb Vindaloo was AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment